Monday, August 07, 2006

A Souvenir


Part One: This past spring, as I was thinking about life and living, I had a vision, well more like an image. I had been thinking about what it means to truly live and about my identity. As I thought about how the world is and how I long for the world to be, I felt overwhelmed by the courage it takes to hold the tension of these contrasting ideas. Thinking about who I am to be in this world, the only sure part of my identity is in relationship, and the truest relationship is that with the King, the One who transcends all reality, seen and unseen. So anyway, I had this image of a Warrior Princess, standing on a hill, wind whipping my hair back, fierce, jubilant and alive. And yes, I was a bit taller and wearing leather--something like a cross between Pocahontas and a Highlander.
Part Two: When thinking of what kind of recuerdo I wanted for this trip, the Haida-Tlingit totem images really stood out to me. They remind me of stories from my time here in Alaska. Crafty Raven, Bear, Beaver and all the other characters of local mythology. But I didn't want to buy something mass-produced. I wanted to support an Alaskan Artist.

Enter Ziggy. Well actually, we entered his shop where the owner tried to sell Holly an ivory pipe (because here in Alaska individuals are allowed to grow three ounces of weed). I wandered off and started playing with these leather bracelets. The maker of the bracelets, one Ziggy, political activist, muralist, shoe-shiner, cobbler, jack-of-all-trades, engaged us in conversation. He explained his view on using all of the resources available, not letting things go to waste. He also explicated his approach to working compassionately with the homeless and showed us numerous newspaper clippings. We talked about how once the past is gone, it really is past. We carry the memory, but can live only in the present.
The designs on the bracelet were what he called "totemic," modeled after the totem art of South-Eastern Alaskans. And so I found my souvenir.

4 Comments:

Blogger JPace said...

you look very short in this picture

7:20 PM  
Blogger JPace said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:59 PM  
Blogger JPace said...

you and holly look like you've been smoking weed. and its actually 4 ounces that are allowed.

8:14 PM  
Blogger bettyflies said...

I stand corrected. Thank you for updating the accuracy of this blog

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home